Incoming Graduate Students
Welcome to UC Riverside and The English Graduate Program!
We are excited to have you join our community of scholars! The areas listed below will attempt to answer most questions, help with the transition to UCR, prepare for enrollment, orientation and campus life.
Steps to Take After Returning the Intent to Register...
Setup Your UCR Email Account:
A confirmation letter with your Student ID and Net ID number will be sent to you when the campus receives your Intent to Register. Log into the R’Web student portal to set-up the R’Mail account, enroll in courses, review financial account information, make payments, update contact information, setup direct deposit for non-payroll financial awards, and more!
Send Official Transcripts:
Official transcripts are required from all institutions you have attended. Please ensure these are sent prior to the first day of classes to avoid any registration holds. While the campus is closed, e-transcripts can be sent directly from your institution(s) to Graduate Division.
If you’d like to be in contact with current graduate students to find a roommate or rent a room, contact Perla Fabelo, who will gladly connect you with the student list serve. Below are additional places to find on and off campus housing. Please apply early.
- UCR Housing Services
- Riverside Neighborhoods information from the City of Riverside
- Riverside Apartment Finder
Complete the online Statement of Legal Residence (SLR):
All incoming students are required to file a Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) in order for fellowship stipends disburse and holds cleared. Any questions regarding residency contact Lina Swartzendruber, Residency and Fee Coordinator at Reshelp@ucr.edu and visit https://registrar.ucr.edu/tuition-fees/residency-for-tuition#i_still_have_questions for additional information.
Sign-Up for Fellowship Direct Deposit:
- 1st DIRECT DEPOSIT FORM: Enroll for direct deposit via R’Web for fellowship stipends, financial aid or any other student refunds. Visiting the Student Business Services page for more information on Refunds, Loan Processing, Payments, 1098-T Taxpayer Relief Act, Forms and Student Accounts.
- 2nd DIRECT DEPOSIT FORM (TA Employment Payroll): If your financial award package includes a TA appointment during the first year, you’ll complete a set of personnel forms one quarter prior to employment. Perla Fabelo will be in contact with you about this process. Direct deposits will take effect one month after signing up for payroll.
Things to Do Later this Summer...
Register for Classes: Fall instruction begins September 22, 2022. The campus is open from 8:00AM to 5:00PM Monday-Friday and is closed on Academic and Administrative Holidays.
New Student Initial Enrollment Period is August 22-26, 2022
Second Enrollment Period is September 9 - October 7, 2022
For instructions on how to register online, visit the Registrar's Office.
New graduate students are required to take ENGL200, “Introduction to Graduate Study”, during the fall quarter.
View the Academic Calendar for enrollment and fee deadlines. Need help? Contact Professor Padma Rangarajan (after August 1st) or Perla Fabelo anytime for guidance on course enrollment and assistance in clearing prerequisites.
Note: International Students will be able to enroll after clearing any Graduate Division holds and have checked in with the International Students and Scholars.
GLACIER (International Students Only):
International students will receive information on GLACIER during the summer. International students are required to complete the tax withholding documents in order for fellowship stipends to disburse. Any questions regarding this process while completing these documents contact Elena Valdez in Accounting.
The International Student Resource Center assists incoming international students in answering questions and services. We encourage you to visit their site and to find out when you can arrive to campus.
There will be a series of orientations that graduate students will be required to attend. Dates and times will be announced during the summer:
- Orientation for International Students – Visit the International Student & Scholars Office for dates.
- Graduate Division Orientation (mandatory for all new graduate students) - will be available online on CANVAS
- Graduate Student Mentorship Program – TBA (an e-mail will be sent out as soon as the date is announced)
- Teaching Assistant Orientation (mandatory for all new students that will TA in their first year - TA's choose 1 day) - Orientation | Teaching Assistant Development Program (ucr.edu)
- English Graduate Program Welcome Orientation – Tuesday, September 20, 2022 - 1109 INTS, See Agenda for details.
Other Campus Information
Graduate Students are automatically enrolled in a UCR policy and the fee for the insurance is covered by the fellowship. Students that prefer to keep their own medical insurance will need to cancel UCR’s policy by applying for a waiver as soon as possible. Any questions, please contact the Student Health Services.
Visit Environmental Health & Safety for more information.
Campus Id Cards:
Visit Card Services to obtain your UCR Student ID card!
Learn more about Campus Safety Services and tools for all students online.
Aside from the admissions fellowship, the campus offers other awards for graduate students and I would encourage you to apply when the call comes out.
- Graduate Dean Dissertation Research Grants
- Chancellor's Dissertation Year Grants
- Graduate Research and Mentorship Fellowships
- Graduate Student Association Research Conference Awards
To learn more, visit Graduate Division Fellowships.
Transportation & Parking Services (TAPS):
Visit Campus Transportation & Parking Services for:
- Parking Permits.
- RTA (Rapid Transit Agency) local Riverside bus line. Bus passes are free for UCR students.
- Metrolink (Southern California Commuter Train) - easy access to Los Angeles, Beaches and San Diego
- Other Alternative Transportation Programs.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact TAPS.
If you’re flying from out-of-country, out-of-state or within California, keep in mind that the Ontario Airport is located about 20 miles from campus; Los Angeles International Airport is about 68 miles. Various shuttle services provide 24-hour service directly from both airports to Riverside. Please check local listings for rates and availability.
Have wonderful summer, stay safe and we look forward to having you join the program this fall!