Honors Program

The English department offers an Honors Program for English majors who are seeking to develop critical research and writing skills and a depth of knowledge in the field of English beyond the normal requirements of the major. The English Honors Program is excellent preparation for students who are planning on going on to graduate study in English, or who would like a preview of what graduate study involves. Students who are interested in law, journalism, or other professional programs will also benefit from the English Honors program’s opportunity for advanced study and faculty supervised research.

At the center of the honors program is the Senior Seminar (193A and B). 193A is a small course focused on a particular research topic or approach in which students do advanced reading in literature, cultural studies, criticism, and theory, and define an independent research topic to be developed as a final project the following quarter. In 193B students work closely with the faculty member who taught the Senior Seminar as they conduct their research and write the Senior Paper. At the end of the term, students will present their research at the Honors Research Colloquium attended by faculty and students.

If you have a 3.5 GPA in the major, you should consider the English Honors Program. To apply, just send an email or letter to C Jacob Marcos, the English advisor, saying you would like to be in the English Honors Program.  You should do this at least four quarters before graduation in order to be able to complete the requirements. You will receive a letter welcoming you to the English Honors Program.

Here are the requirements for the English Undergraduate Honors Program

  1. Maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher in the English major.
  2. Complete 14 additional units of upper division courses in English, beyond the 59 required for the major. English 193 A and B (a total of 6 units) count toward these additional units.
  3. Complete English 193A“Senior Seminar” (the units of which may be used toward the additional upper division unit requirement)
  4. Complete English 193B by submitting a Senior Paper as the result of research begun in 193A.
  5. Successfully present your Senior Paper in an undergraduate Honors Research colloquium or conference sponsored by the English Department.

If you have any questions, please contact C Jacob Marcos or Department Chair David Lloyd.