Incoming Graduate Students

Image result for ucr english department

Welcome to UC Riverside
The English Graduate Program!

We are excited to have you join our community of scholars!   The areas listed below will attempt to answer most questions, help with the transition to UCR, prepare for enrollment, orientation and campus life.

Steps to Take After You SIR….

Setup Your UCR Email Account:

To activate your new student R’Mail account, you will need the ID/NetID indicated on your post admissions email/letter to begin receiving important campus and graduate program information.  The R’Web portal is where you’ll enroll, review student financial account information, make payments, update contact information, setup direct deposit for non-payroll financial awards, and more!

Send Official Transcripts:

Official transcripts are required from all institutions you have attended.  Please ensure these are sent prior to the first day of classes to avoid any registration holds.


If you’d like to be in contact with current graduate students to find a roommate or rent a room, contact Perla Fabelo, who will gladly connect you with the student list serve.  Below are additional places to find on and off campus housing:

  1. UCR Housing Services
  2. Riverside Apartment Finder
  3. Zillow

For more information about the City of Riverside, visit Riverside Neighborhoods.

Complete the online Statement of Legal Residence (SLR):

All incoming students are required to file a Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) .  The form can be found online at:  Any residency questions can be sent to Dominic Laureano, Residency and Fee Coordinator at

Sign-Up for the Fellowship Direct Deposit:

Sign-up for direct deposit to have your fellowship stipends, financial aid or any other student refunds deposited electronically into your personal bank or credit union account.  Enroll for direct deposit via R’Web. Learn more on how to enroll by visiting the Student Business Services webpage.

Things to Do Later this Summer…

The New Student Open Enrollment Windows are August 19-22 and September 10 to October 11

Note: International Students will be able to enroll after clearing any Graduate Division holds and have checked-in with the International Students and Scholars Office.

Sign-Up for Payroll Direct Deposit:

2NDDIRECT DEPOSIT FORM (TA Employment Payroll)
If your financial award package includes a TA appointment in the first year, an additional direct deposit form will need to be completed.  The quarter before the first employment appointment begins, you’ll be scheduled to complete the payroll onboarding forms.  Direct deposits will take effect one month after signing up for payroll.

GLACIER (International Students Only):
International students will receive information on GLACIER during the summer.  International students are required to complete the tax withholding documents for fellowship stipends to disburse.  Any questions regarding this process while completing these documents can contact Elena Valdez in Accounting.  


  • Graduate Division Orientation (mandatory for all new graduate students)
    • September 23, 2019, 1:30-3:00PM, University Lecture Hall
    • Graduate Student Reception following orientation, 3:00-5:00PM. Location TBD.
  • Teaching Assistant Orientation (mandatory for all new students teaching the first year). All TA Orientations will be held in Winston Chung Hall 139, from 9:30AM to 4:00PM, and check-in at 9:00AM.  A light breakfast and lunch will be provided for all orientations.
    • First time teaching in fall, attend the following orientation:  Wednesday, September 25, 2019
    • First time teaching in winter or spring, attend one of the following orientations:  Thursday, January 2, or Friday January 3, 2020
    • TA Orientations will cover:  Campus Resources, Basic Pedagogy, TA Rights and Ethics, Teaching in a Diverse Classroom/Rapport with Students, Introduction to Blackboard,  Classroom Technology and Contract-required presentation by the UAW.
    • Students are required to register.
  • English Graduate Program Welcome Orientation:  September 24, 2019.  Time and location TBD.

Other Campus Information

Medical Insurance:

The Fellowship award includes medical insurance.  Students will automatically be enrolled in a UCR policy and the fee for the insurance is included in the quarterly fee statement.  Students that want to keep their own medical insurance will need to cancel UCR’s policy by applying for a waiver as soon as possible.  Any questions, please contact the Student Health Services.

Campus Id Cards:

Visit Card Services to find out how you can get your UCR Student ID card!

Campus Safety:

Learn more about Campus Safety Services and tools for all students online.

Fellowship Awards:

The campus offers several awards for graduate students during the academic year and I would encourage you to apply when the call comes out.

  • Graduate Dean Dissertation Research Grants
  • Chancellor’s Dissertation Year Grants
  • Graduate Research and Mentorship Fellowships
  • Graduate Student Association Research Conference Awards

To learn more, visit this web site

Transportation & Parking Services (TAPS):

Visit Campus Transportation & Parking Services for:

  • Parking Permits.
  • RTA (Rapid Transit Agency) local Riverside bus line. Bus passes are free for UCR students.
  • Metrolink (Southern California Commuter Train) – easy access to Los Angeles, Beaches and San Diego
  • Other Alternative Transportation Programs.
    If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact TAPS.

Students arriving at Los Angeles International Airport can take a bus service from LAX to Downtown Los Angeles Union Train Station.  Take the Metrolink Riverside commuter train from LA Union Station to Downtown Riverside. The Metrolink Riverside Line has a limited schedule, so please check Metrolink for their schedule to plan your trip to UCR.

Contact Professor Andrea Denny-Brown or Perla Fabelo for any questions.    

Have wonderful summer and we look forward to seeing you this fall!