- December 10th – for applications to the PhD program
We no longer offer a TERMINAL M.A. PROGRAM in English at U.C. Riverside.
PROGRAM IN ENGLISH AT UC RIVERSIDE
- Applications will not be accepted after December 10th.
- The only document to be sent to the department is your official transcript, and it can be sent after December 1st.
- The Department of English accepts applications for the Fall quarter only.
Required Test Scores
- Taking the GRE: We use your most recent test scores, and we will accept scores from either the old or the revised GRE (available August 1, 2011). The exam must have been taken within the five years prior to September of the year for which you are requesting admission. To insure that your scores arrive by December 10th, you should take the GRE by mid-November.
- Reporting Your GRE Scores: Request that your official GRE scores be sent online (no paper documents) to UCR’s English Department at your earliest opportunity as it takes several weeks for the campus to receive official scores. The GRE school code for UCR is 4839 and the department code is 2501.
- GRE Subject Exam: We do not require the subject exam (Literature in English).
- International Applicants: The TOEFL must have been taken within the past two years, and this test cannot be waived.
Complete UCR’s online Official Application for Graduate Admission by going to http://GradSIS.ucr.edu. You may work on it in stages, saving your work between sessions, but you must click “Submit My Application” in order for your file to be evaluated for admission to our program. The system will not permit an application to be submitted after December 10th.
- Degree Objective: Admission to the PhD program is open to qualified candidates with a BA or MA degree by the time of matriculation. (To count towards our PhD, the MA degree must be in English or a related field. Similarly, an MFA will count towards the PhD if it includes substantial training in literary studies at the graduate level. The Admissions Committee will review your coursework to make these determinations.) Applicants to the PhD program are eligible for a full range of financial support.
- Areas of Research Interest: We understand that your area of primary focus may change over the course of your graduate education, but please indicate the areas in which you expect to concentrate.
- Writing Sample: We require an 8- to 15-page writing sample (double-spaced). If you’d like to excerpt a section from a longer essay or thesis, you may include a brief summary of the rest of the argument. (You will be asked to upload it under “Additional Information” in the “Statement of Purpose & Personal History” category of the application.) Choose a strong, recent sample of your critical writing, preferably related to your proposed research interests.
An application is complete once we have received all of the following:
- Official GRE Scores: Arrange for ETS to send us your official GRE scores (no paper submissions to the department).
- Letters of Recommendation: Your 3 recommenders should submit their letters to the online system (no paper submissions to the department) shortly after the December 1oth deadline, if not before.
- Official Transcripts: Arrange to have one original set of each official transcript sent directly to the department:
Perla Fabelo, Graduate Student Services Advisor
Department of English
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521-0323
Even if the information is listed on another school’s transcript, you must list on your application and arrange to have sent to us one original transcript from every school you’ve attended after high school.
Note: Official transcripts are the only documents to be mailed to the English Department. All other documents should be submitted online with your application.
- Supporting Documents: Attach all documents – Personal History, Statement of Purpose, Writing Sample – to the online application (no paper submissions to the department).
- Application Fee: You must pay the application fee (or be granted a waiver). To request a fee waiver, email the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the form before submitting your application.
- Online Application: Complete the online forms and click “Submit.”
If you have any questions about the application process, contact Perla Fabelo, Graduate Student Services Advisor, at email@example.com or (951) 827-1454.
In keeping with the Cleary Act, the UC Riverside Campus Security and Crime Report is available at the following website: http://www.police.ucr.edu/securityreport. The Report contains a summary of crimes reported on the campus and in other designated areas during the past three calendar years. It also contains references to University and campus policies concerned with criminal activity and security on campus.